guix-devel

Re: Manual PDF and translation (modular texlive?)

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Manual PDF and translation (modular texlive?)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 14:02:24 +0200

>> What’s interesting is that it breaks accents in the table of contents,
>> but not elsewhere.
>
> These double caret sequences are representations of multi-byte
> characters.  “^^c3^^b6”, for example, is a lowercase a with umlaut.
>
> The TeX log file contains a whole bunch of these messages:
>
>     l.139: Unicode char @u8:^^e5^^8f^^82 not defined for Texinfo
>
> Then later things like this:
>
>     Missing character: There is no ^^c3 in font cmr10!
>     Missing character: There is no ^^9f in font cmr10!
>     Missing character: There is no ^^c3 in font cmr10!
>     Missing character: There is no ^^9f in font cmr10!
>     Missing character: There is no ^^c3 in font cmr10!
>     Missing character: There is no ^^a4 in font cmr10!
>
> I’m not sure this is correct, because it seems to me that “^^c3” is only
> part of a longer multi-byte sequence, but this error indicates that
> individual bytes are looked up in the font.

With the full “texlive” package I also see “not defined for Texinfo” in
the logs, but the characters use octal notation instead of double caret
notation.  The generated guix.de.toc contains the correct characters
with umlauts, while the .toc file generated with the modular TeX Live
contains caret-notated characters.

I’ll try to figure out why that is.

--
Ricardo