guix-europe

General Assembly: 10th June; minutes of 26th May

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: General Assembly: 10th June; minutes of 26th May
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 16:52:46 +0200

Hi,

Please find the minutes of the General Assembly of 26th May:

https://framagit.org/guix-europe/guix-europe/-/blob/0a13231ab2d707d6e19beeb490d503dbe9404427/website/minutes/ga-20230526.txt

Because the Assembly did not reach the quorum, you are invited to the
next Assembly on June, 10th –  as specificity by our statutes.

The point #5 of the agenda:

    5. Name change: Guix Europe -> Guix Foundation

had not been voted and thus it will be at the next Assembly on June 10th.

You are welcome to discuss this rename on the guix-europe mailing list.
Here some other proposals for the rename:

        * Guix 4 All
        * Guix assoc
        * Guix Cabale
        * Guix Europe
        * Guix Foundation
        * Guix Hell
        * Guix Institute
        * Guix Organization
        * Guix PAC (this means "heat pump" in French - "pompe à chaleur")
        * Guix Sabbath
        * Guix Society
        * Guix Undefined
        * Guix Undelimited
        * Guix Union
        * Guix United
        * Pssst! Guix
        * The Guix Consortium
        * Xiug

Please note that the main motivation for the rename is the
communication.  When presenting to potential sponsors, our name needs
1. to show that we are serious – take things seriously, but not to take
oneself too seriously – and 2. to cut many details and keep the point
straight: the association is a non-profit organization supporting Guix.

Foundation is the common word as in: Free Software Foundation,
Electronic Frontier Foundation, Apache Software Foundation, Haskell
Foundation, Rust Foundation, OCaml Software Foundation, Python Software
Foundation, etc.

To my knowledge, they are often non-profit organizations and often
registered as 501(c)(3) under US law [1].

Now the French boring part. :-) Under the French law, the term
foundation [2] is translated as “fondation” and means a very specific
legal structure that we are not – and cannot be.  Therefore, it’s
possible that the French administration rejects this rename.  However, a
quick query to the French official publication [3] shows that the term
foundation is broadly used as name for non-profit: Surfrider Foundation
Europe, Association Salvation Foundation France, Now And Together
Foundation France, Paradox Foundation, UPG Foundation, Direct Impact
Foundation, Capitaine Singe Foundation, etc.

Therefore, this French law boring specificity does not mean that we
cannot try. ;-) I mean, if we agree by voting that the rename is worth.

1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/501(c)(3)_organization
2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_(nonprofit)
3:
https://www.journal-officiel.gouv.fr/pages/associations-recherche/?disjunctive.source&sort=cronosort&q=foundation&q.titre=