member with constructor not allowed in union

From: Richard B. Kreckel
Subject: member with constructor not allowed in union
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 21:42:24 +0100 (CET)

Hi there,

Since this ugly C++ problem was reported several have happened.  I would
like to ask whether there are actual plans to fix this?

Please note, that due to this bug many C++ projects are somewhat in limbo
(Openoffice comes to mind) since they cannot build unless manually
downgrading to bison-1.29.  The problem also hits the upcoming Debian
woody because it contains bison-1.32, but newer versions don't get in
because of this bug and we cannot downgrade.  The only solution would be
to package `bison-okay' as a completely separate package, but this is
ugly.  It would, however, be necessary, if this is not planned to be
fixed anytime soon.

What are the Bison developer's suggestions?  Should Debian go ahead with a
second (old) bison package or is a solution right around the corner?

Regards
    -richy.
--
Richard Kreckel