Re: member with constructor not allowed in union

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: member with constructor not allowed in union
Date: 18 Mar 2002 11:31:23 +0100

Hi Paul,

It seems we are not done yet with the C++ issues.

The problem this time is that we have to throw away your union trick
to compute the alignments.  We cannot afford to put YYSTYPE (and
actually YYLTYPE) into a union, as it makes it impossible for C++
users to use any useful structure in it.

I agree this is a C++ issue only, but as long as we don't have an
alternative C++ parser generator to save them (it is not ready for
public use), we have to go back to the old broken scheme.

My personal opinion is that we should keep the C parser as is in the
1.50 branch, as it will provide the needed support for C++ parsers.
But people need the 1.3x generations to support reasonable C++
constructs.

The bottom line is: would you handle the reversal in 1.3x?  Thanks in
advance.  I guess the NEWS file ought to explain the motivations for
this reversal, and explain that in the future, these people will have
to use the C++ output.