Re: member with constructor not allowed in union

From: Richard B. Kreckel
Subject: Re: member with constructor not allowed in union
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 16:27:38 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On 14 Mar 2002, Akim Demaille wrote:
> First, I would like to see what problem you really have.  Only people
> using yylloc can have actual problems.  The other don't have new
> problems.
>
> Nevertheless, I would like to invite people working with C++ to try
> the current CVS version of Bison, which does output C++.

Okay, I just gave the current CVS sources a try and it does not seem to
help.  The section
  /* A type that is properly aligned for any stack member.  */
  union yyalloc
  {
    short yyss;
    YYSTYPE yyvs;
  # if YYLSP_NEEDED
    YYLTYPE yyls;
  # endif
  };
is still generated in my file input_parser.cc and later I get the error
y.tab.c:154: member `class GiNaC::ex GiNaC::yyalloc::yyvs' with constructor not
allowed in union

Actually, this is all somewhat beyond me.  If you want to test it
yourself, I invite you to check out the GiNaC sources from CVS
pserver:address@hidden:/home/cvs, module GiNaC.
After configuration, make should create ginac/input_parser.cc, which is
the file that does not compile any more.

>                                                           It is far
> from being the definitive interface, but we need feedback from users.
>
> I do use it myself, with success.

Strange.  I can a assure you there are many real projects struck by
this.  I already mentioned OpenOffice.  Doxygen seems to be another one:
<http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/install.html#unix_problems>.

Regards
    -richy.
--