Re: member with constructor not allowed in union

From: Richard B. Kreckel
Subject: Re: member with constructor not allowed in union
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 20:34:11 +0100 (CET)

On 14 Mar 2002, Akim Demaille wrote:
> | is still generated in my file input_parser.cc and later I get the error
> | y.tab.c:154: member `class GiNaC::ex GiNaC::yyalloc::yyvs' with constructor
> not allowed in union
>
> You are not using the C++ output!  Run bison -S bison.c++.

Ahh, I was not aware of this option in CVS' GNU Bison 1.49a.  Above error
is of course gone now.  However, several hundred other errors crop up,
which I don't wish to analyze right now.  Methinks bison.c++ is something
for the long run...

Look.  The free software community needs a woring Bison ASAP, out of the
box, packaged -- be it RedHat, Debian or whatever.  We have three option:

1) Wait for the new CVS version to be released and then convert every
   C++ source package depending on Bison to the new style.
   Hmm, but some people would like to release this year...

2) The Bison-maintainers actually fix this in bison.simple, release it
   as, say bison-1.35.  It then goes into distributions and bison-1.50
   (if that's what it is eventually supposed to be) has to wait.

3) Packagers do it as described in <http://bugs.debian.org/130914>,
   by just backporting bison.simple from release 1.28 (or 1.29).

I have just investigated a bit and it seems like option three is indeed
feasible.  What would you vote for?

[ ] Option 1: Only morons use bison.simple with C++!
[ ] Option 2: It's eazy -- and backporting in distros suxx big time.
[ ] Option 3: Distributions should care about their software (LOL).

Hmm, I think I can guess Vincent's and Akim's votes.   :-)

Regards
    -richy.
--
Richard B. Kreckel