help-liquidwar6

[Help-liquidwar6] Four levels and some talk

From: Kasper Hviid
Subject: [Help-liquidwar6] Four levels and some talk
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 17:59:03 +0200

Here's a few levels, mostly to show what those layers can do. Some of
them might be updated later, but I felt like uploading something.

https://www.yousendit.com/download/ZW9COGNTTk13TGp2Wmc9PQ

I consider making some short youtube-video, to be uploaded when LW6 is
playable enough to go public.

I have tried playing some more with rules.xml and hints.xml. I think
the levels generally needs to be VERY fast, since the mouse curser is
pretty quick, compared to the keyboard-movement of LW5.

I'm a bit unsure about what is the right values rounds-per-seconds and
moves-per-round. I know that rounds-per-second is akin to
drawings-per-second in classic animation - a value of 1 is equal of a
slideshow. And moves-per-sec is the movement between the two drawings.
But what is the right values for the two, in relation to each other?

If I understand things correctly, the horse-power requirement of a
level is a result of:
 - The users screen resolution
 - fighter-scale (in hints.xml)
 - rounds-per-sec
 - single-army-size or total-armies-size
 - Amount of white in map.png
 - Amounts of branching in map.png
 - Number of layer png's.
 - Some of them wacky gradient settings
I just try to keep fighter-scale at 4 - there's a chance that it will
keep the levels playable on "all" computers.

I find it a bit frustrating the way changing the resolution also
changes the gameplay. A fast paced level designed at a 800x600 is far
less fast-paced when played at 1600x1200. (but VERY fast-paced at
160x120 windowed) I think I would prefer if the game used the same
size of logical map, regardless of resolution or if it tuned
moves-per-round to make the level keep the same speed.

I don't know much about how vector art work together with LW6, but I
think it could look cool if the pre-defined colors were used to
colorize different parts of the vector.

It might be cool if a graph showed how the game had progressed at the
winning screen:

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/1795/winningscreen.jpg

Regards,
Kasper