[Libcdio-devel] Re: GPLv3?

From: Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò
Subject: [Libcdio-devel] Re: GPLv3?
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 13:46:54 +0100

Burkhard Plaum <address@hidden> writes:

> The "whole thing" cannot consist of plugins with incompatible licenses,
> because AFAIK dynamic loading requires licenses to be compatible (correct me
> if I'm, wrong).

You are right. And indeed it is a problem in general, a problem I am
also trying to address.

On the other hand, you _could_ have the plugins using incompatible
licenses.. although you'd be unable to redistribute the binary plugins
themselves.

GPL (2 at least) does not cover usage, only distribution, so nobody
stops you from linking packages with incompatible licenses together, as
long as you don't redistibute them.

And I don't think MPlayer guys wouldn't accept relicensing some of their
code if we ask nicely, so consider xine as a fix-in-progress at the moment.

--
Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/