Re: Accidentals patch

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Accidentals patch
Date: 08 Dec 2001 12:29:17 -0500

>>>>> "Rune" == Rune Zedeler <address@hidden> writes:

    Rune> I don't understand what you want.

I want the MIDI file to sound like what I would actually play, but I
want the printed file to print the way the original publisher printed
it.

In early and traditional music, it's quite common that there are
accidentals that "everybody" knows to play that aren't shown in the
printed music.  Sometimes when you're doing a modern edition you
insert them as editorial accidentals, displayed differently from the
accidentals that were actually printed, but for my purposes, I would
rather they didn't display at all.  So that's why, when you said you
were providing various styles of displaying editorial accidentals, I
suggested you have one that didn't display at all.

    Rune> Why do you want editorial accidentals that does not get printed -
what good do
    Rune> they do when they are invisible?

They play correctly in the MIDI file.

    Rune> (Do you want to be able to typeset the same score with and without
editorial
    Rune> accidentals?)

That might be one way to do it.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (801) 365-6574
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139
(If I haven't invited you to my party on December 16, I'm sure it's an
oversight.)