Re: More documentation

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: More documentation
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 14:21:40 +0200

Actually, the FAQ-like documentation that's most actively supported is
the "tips-and-tricks" and "regression test" documents. This, together
with the templates, is a very good source of extra information both for
new and experienced users, in my opinion.

The current document (on the web) is hard to navigate and looks
intimidating due to its sheer size, so we have a plan to reorganise
that as a subdirectory tree, e.g.

  input/
     beam
        cross-staff
        auto-beam
     chord-name
        entry
        output
        tweaking
     repeat
        percent
        volta
        midi

(etc.), This could be translated automatically into a structured TeX
document.

Comments?

My experience is that as soon as you start dividing a WWW document into
separate pages, it starts getting more difficult to find the information
you need. Even though these example files are small and dedicated to a
specific feature, I fear that it often will be impossible to say that an
example belongs to a certain section and is completely unrelated to all
the rest. Personally, I prefer one large WWW page where I can easily do
full text search or just browse through it to get new ideas of what is
actually possible to do with the program.
On the other hand, introducing a number of sections on the same WWW
page is brilliant idea, of course.

   /Mats