Re: Resource list, revised and extended again

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Resource list, revised and extended again
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 15:42:24 +0200

Graham Percival wrote:
> On 13-Aug-05, at 5:35 PM, Fairchild wrote:
> > The only way I know to generate html is using MSWord.  Please do
> > design and
> > implement more professionally.
>
> I think you could just send the link and blurb as text.  For example:
>
> http://www.MutopiaProject.org
> The Mutopia Project is a collection of over 500 LilyPond scores.
> There's lots
> of examples here that could help you!
>
> (... or whatever the text should be)
>
> That way John can easily add the info into whatever format he likes.
Yes; I've made a list where each entry is a tuple
(title, url, image, text),
then this list is processed by a simple script format-resources.py, so
we could easily try and change the entries layout.

Everything is attached in a zipped directory 'resources' (sorry for its
"big" size), that could be added in LilyPond website when it's ready.
The script outputs index.html, which I've generated for those who don't
have Python.
Tell me your opinion about that.

Note that some layout is missing because the page haven't be processed
by format-page.py (see LilyPond CVS, in branch 'newweb'). You can find a
preview of what it could be in index.preview.html (I've simply run
'make' in my CVS local copy and put the result in the archive with the
CSS; don't worry if the images are broken).

> > The graphics are all captured from the web.  I'll try to figure out
> > how to
> > convert gif to png.
>
> 1)  We should make sure that we have permission to use the images.  If
> it's a site's logo, it should be ok, but if it isn't an obvious logo,
> we should
> ask for permission.
I think it should be ok for Mutopia, jEdit and schemers.org. We maybe
needn't add an image for every entry...
Bruce, could you please verify that we are allowed to use the images you
want to keep?

> 2)  if converting images isn't easy for you, send them to me privately;
> I can
> easily convert the gifs to pngs.
I've done it :-) but removed some images because messages size on
lilypond-devel list can't be more than 64 KB.

Some questions:

* What does mean "No representation is made, etc."?

* What is that French phrase "pour cor" with a Google search link?

* Should I sort the entries by category?
At the moment I see 3 categories:
- LilyPond snippets and music sheets
- Music notation
- General resources ### PostScript, schemers.org, ...

* Should I add the links that are in devel/misc/links, about/features
section "Excellent support"?

* Could some FAQs relevant with "resources" be moved to this new page,
with just the links remaining in the FAQ page?
So there would be 2 more sections: "Converters" and "GUIs for LilyPond".

* If the webmasters find it can be soon included in LilyPond website,
should I move the images to images/, modify the makefile,
site/menu-entries.py (adding a "resources" entry), and internationalize
my script format-resources.py (marking strings for translation)?

Moreover, I'll look for a Python module that validate the urls... so
it'd be easy to maintain.

A last thing for the webmasters: you should remove
devel/misc/conferences because all links are broken or redirect to porno
sites. The links to Linux Audio Developers seem to be broken too.
--
John Mandereau <address@hidden>