RE: Resource list, revised and extended again

From: John Mandereau
Subject: RE: Resource list, revised and extended again
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:44:26 +0200

Le mercredi 17 août 2005 à 09:34 -0500, Fairchild a écrit :
> I don't clearly follow what is being proposed, but it seems off track.  The
> need is for a single source of links for information useful to Lilyponders,
> not cluttered with a morass of sources for composers or musicians.  Even
> though denied on the posting, LilyPond resources imply some measure of
> recommendation/endorsement by the developers.
>
> What should be in?  Postings of .ly files.  Manuals/guides for elements of
> LilyPond: Scheme, PS, etc.  Editors especially supportive of LilyPond.
> Testimonials.  Dictionaries and engraving guides used by the developers.
>
> What should be out?  Music and music information unrelated to LilyPond.
>
> What should be debated?  Engraving info not used by LilyPond.  Sources for
> public domain scores that could benefit from LilyPond engraving.
>
> I just briefly explored dmoz.  Never before knew it existed.  Impressive,
> but it doesn't seem a good substitute for a selected set of links from
> within lilypond.org.  For resources supporting Lily, I want a single place.
> For some broad categories such as music dictionaries, dmoz might provide a
> good source, but music dictionaries don't seem to be there.  A search for
> lilypond editors also finds nothing.  Redirection through dmoz seems
> unnecessary.
>
> Volunteers are willing to provide content for a page at
> http://lilypond.org/web/resources.  Why not?

Well, I think I've found a compromise. On one hand, I agree with you
that a single resources page exclusively for Lilyponders is much more
convenient. On the other hand, I suppose Han-Wen was afraid (and he has
certainly reasons for that :-)) that it was a mess in the site building
scripts after I'd have added my scripts, just for one more little
resources page.

In fact, I don't need to include the scripts for the resources page in
the official CVS site source: I can just run the scripts myself and then
give you the result. You (i.e. the webmaster, the translators,...) just
needn't know the machinery I use to build and maintain this page.

So, let's do that: Han-Wen, I'll send you the new files and the patch
for modified files that you'll apply to a cvs copy of the site source,
then you'll be able to see the final result with 'make'ing it (unless
you prefer that I send you a *ugh* 4 MB tarball).

--
John Mandereau <address@hidden>