Re: Resource list, revised and extended again

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Resource list, revised and extended again
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 23:09:38 +0200

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> there is one thing that I still don't get, which is why this should be
> done on lilypond.org. Aren't there many link directories (eg. dmoz.org)
> that are more suited to this kind of application? I assume that they
> will already have all the machinery to edit, check and translate links
> in a distributed  way.

Oh yeah, It'd be certainly more easy than doing it on lilypond.org; I
didn't know there were such sites. After searching a bit, I really find
the Open Directory Project (dmoz.org) the most interesting.

They have a category Computers: Multimedia: Music and Audio: Software:
Notation at
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Multimedia/Music_and_Audio/Software/Notation/
where a sub-category LilyPond could be added. Links are submitted to
"senior editors" who decide to add them or not. In my oppinion, this
system is more interesting for us than reciprocal links directories or
directories with more ads than real links.

The only "problem" is that links will be spread in very different
categories ( Notation: LilyPond, Arts: Music: Resources: Downloadable
Music Sheets, Software:, and various other categories for PostScript,
Scheme). I suggest that we put a resources page on lilypond.org that
contains links to the relevant categories in dmoz.org. Do the webmasters
approve this idea?

Another problem is that some links may be rejected.

Maybe I'm going to become an editor; Bruce, would you like too? There is
already a dozen of links, which are listed here (those not listed are
already in dmoz.org):

- could be in category Computers: Multimedia: Music and Audio: Software:
Notation: LilyPond:

LilyPond Snippet Repository (LSR) - http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/
LSR collects demonstrative input examples, contributed by LilyPonders.

Bagpipe tunes -
http://www.svenax.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=sheetmusic&file=index
Svenax has posted 100 bagpipe tunes in his sheet
music archive. Lily source is available at
svn://svenax.dynip.com/LilyMusic/Bagpipe,
which needs <a href="http://subversion.tigris.org/";>Subversion</a>,
which is easy to use through
the <a href="http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/";>TortoiseSVN client</a>.
# could be also in category: Music sheets

LilyPondTool plugin for jEdit -
http://plugins.jedit.org/plugins/?LilyPondTool
helps build LilyPond scores. See the
<a
href="http://lily4jedit.sourceforge.net/users-guide.html";>LilyPondTool
User's
the
<a
href="http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lily4jedit-user";>user
list</a>.

LilyPad - http://edbaskerville.com/software/lilypad/
a Mac OS X editor for LilyPond

- could be in Computers: Multimedia: Music and Audio: Software:
Notation:

Comparison of music typesetting programs
The newsgroup rec.music.theory has a thread about comparing seven
commercial
and one free (LilyPond) music typesetting programs.  See Laura Conrad's
weblog
http://www.laymusic.org/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi/2005/08/14#050814-comparison

- could be in category Arts: Music: Resources: Downloadable Music
Sheets:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen/
Han-Wen Nienhuys maintains some sheet music
<http://www.google.com/search?le=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&q=pour
+cor&btnG=Google+Search&num=20&sourceid=Mozilla-search><i>pour
cor</i></a>.

http://percival-music.ca/
Graham Percival posts his cello and viola compositions.

- could be in various other categories (Music notation, ...):

Music Publishers' Association http://www.mpa.org
MPA posts information about music engraving, publishing, and
copyrighting.
See especially their "Standard Music Notation Practice"
http://www.mpa.org/notation/notation.pdf
#MPA is already referenced in dmoz; just submit the PDF link

Musical Notation Links
Gerd Castan maintains an extensive hierarchy of musical links at
http://www.music-notation.info

--
John Mandereau <address@hidden>