Re: Tremolo positioning

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: Tremolo positioning
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 21:24:37 +1100

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 21:26, Joshua Parmenter wrote:
> I'll do this tonight (when I'm home with my scanner).
>
> Looking over some older scores, I definitely see examples like the
> one sent earlier... but over 10 years of typesetting, most current
> style sheets (if memory serves me correctly) specify slanted
> tremolos. I'll actually see if I can dig up the Durand style sheet
> (the one I've seen most recently) and see if ti specifies.

While you're looking this up, could you also check the behaviour of tremolo
flags on notes with flags (eg. unbeamed 8th notes)? I only have one example
of this on hand and the behaviour is

Tremolos on stem-up notes with flags are shortened and rectangular (same as
beamed flags).

Tremolos on stem-down notes with flags are the normal length, but more sloped
than normal to help them avoid the flag.

This behaviour seems to make sense, but I only have one example so it would be
nice to have either confirmation or a counter-example/alternate behaviour.

Cheers,
Joe