Re: file locations or links in snippets

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: file locations or links in snippets
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 01:50:31 -0700

On Sun, 25 May 2008 09:40:47 +0100
"Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:

> A list would be fine.  What I disliked was the attempt to construct
> a heading from the conditions.  These are better explained in text.
>
> An alternative would be a list for Linux:
>
> @strong{MS Windows}
> @strong{MacOS}
> @strong{Linux}
>   - if you installed LilyPond by downloading from lilypond.org ...
>   - if you installed LilyPond from your Linux distribution ...
>
> I think I prefer this way - it's really clear to Windows
> users that they can ignore the Mac and Linux bits, and there
> is no need to mention how they obtained LilyPond, as there is
> no choice.

Except that MacOS and Windows also needs such a list.  fink and
cygwin both contain lilypond packages.  And if somebody installed
lilypond via a package manager -- on *any* operating system --
then the answer is the same: "figure out where your package
manager put the lilypond files, then look for foo/bar/baz".

Sure, we would *rather* that people use GUB, but unless we want
inaccurate info in the LM, we need to deal with package managers
for every OS.  IMO, it makes sense to lump them all together.