Re: file locations or links in snippets

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: file locations or links in snippets
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 01:51:54 -0700

On Sat, 10 May 2008 09:50:35 +0200
John Mandereau <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 2008/05/09, Graham Percival wrote:
> > address@hidden (in @code{/usr/share/lilypond/current/ly})
> > +for details of pitch names and alterations.
> >
> > This is true for some linux installations (although not mine; I
> > keep all non-debian-packaged software in my user account), but
> > certainly not true of OSX or windows installations.
>
> I think this is actually true for all GUB installations, whatever the
> OS, and this is not true for non-GUB installation (Debian and RPM
> packages, or self-compiled installations, for example, which use
> share/lilypond/x.y.z).

Note the leading / .  On my system, for example, the location is
/home/gperciva/usr/lilypond/share/lilypond/current/ly

whereas a normal as-root installation of GUB on linux would
probably be something like
/usr/local/lilypond/share/lilypond/current/ly

In any case, this is explained in the LM, and is too involved to
be explained in that snippet.

> > If a technical person wants to say "oh, it's trivial!  Here's a
> > patch to the LSR source code that does it, blah blah blah" then
> > I won't object.  :)
>
> I'm not volunteering for doing this involved task, but as a lot easier
> alternative we could add a link at top of each tag page to the
> corresponding section of NR (and LM if applicable).  Unless you
> complain, I'll go ahead with this within next week.

I won't complain, but that doesn't address this particular case
at all.  It's still a good idea, though.  :)