Re: file locations or links in snippets

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: file locations or links in snippets
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 09:40:47 +0100

Graham Percival wrote Saturday, May 24, 2008 11:12 PM
On Sat, 24 May 2008 21:31:16 +0100
"Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:

Second, I'd drop the strong bits and simply use four paras like:

"If you are using MS Windows (any flavour) and downloaded the
standard version of LilyPond from lilypond.org, the directory of
interest is C:/Program Files/LilyPond/usr/share/lilypond/current/."

"If you installed LilyPond by using a package manager or by compiling
it from source the directory of interest on any system is
PREFIX/share/lilypond/X.Y.Z/
where ... etc"

IMO it's more clear which material the user should read this way.
If you're on windows, you don't need to see anything about OSX or
linux.  I wouldn't mind changing it to a list, but I don't think
that mere paragraphs are enough.

A list would be fine.  What I disliked was the attempt to construct
a heading from the conditions.  These are better explained in text.

An alternative would be a list for Linux:

@strong{MS Windows}
@strong{MacOS}
@strong{Linux}
 - if you installed LilyPond by downloading from lilypond.org ...
 - if you installed LilyPond from your Linux distribution ...

I think I prefer this way - it's really clear to Windows
users that they can ignore the Mac and Linux bits, and there
is no need to mention how they obtained LilyPond, as there is
no choice.