Re: why is Dutch the default language for note-entry?

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: why is Dutch the default language for note-entry?
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 23:54:24 +0100

On 18 Dec 2008, at 22:28, <address@hidden> wrote:

Right. So the best one can hope for is a series of keyboard maps that
perhaps unify groups of characters, that those that so like may use.

The issue is to create a UTF-8 text file with linguistic content from
several writing scripts, right? Choose an OS and a text processor that
supports that and you have whatever you need for lyrics and other
arbitrary text.

Right. On Mac OS X, just use <command><space> or whatever you set it to change key map. Then switch into the LilyPond key map for typing notes and such. The latter layout must be logical and easy to remember to be usable.

Keywords are a different issue. Yes, it is a bit strange that parts of Ly are english and other parts are not. Ly is the first programming language I have seen which allows a choice of language for programming keywords.

Keyboard maps can demand certain key stroke combinations for output, and can output a sequence of characters, I would think, because otherwise some Unicode combining character combinations might not be possible. So it might be possible to capture keywords - I do not know for sure. But if possible, and it also can be learned, it would be a fast input method.

Macintosh Fonts with unusual encodings (eg, IPA) can include a key- glyph mapping table (KCHR reseource) that the OS automagically employs when the typing focus is directed at a field employing that font ('Font' menu has it checked). The KCHR resource is something human beings can create (with effort) using ResEdit or Resourcerer; I think Fontographer will also make
one.

I am only thinking about Unicode fonts. Fonts can only have 2^16 characters, and cannot cover all of Unicode. So it is necessary to have several. There is a lookup system for the glyphs available for each character.

Mac, and maybe PC, used to have utillities which would allow you to
program the F-keys so they would execute macros (perhaps typing arbitrary
text).  Might be that this is no longer feasible because of improved
memory protection under OS X, dunno.  F1-12, hmmm, twelve keys...

All the keys have different numbers, and should in principle be reprogrammable. But as function keys tend to have different uses, it might be wise not using them up for typing.

On the other hand, it is easy to switch keyboard maps, on mine it is
<command><space>.

Used to be <command><space> cycled between installed scripts, rotating the
chosen font and associated KCHR.  Confusing if you have more than two
installed.

You can set it in System Preferences -> International -> Input Menu.

I do not know what they [chinese] use - check on the Unicode list.

I was refering to historical chinese typesetting, ca 1300 AD; before
computers.  OT digression, sorry.

They used movable type, early on, using wooden glyphs. Gutenberg made a method for making many identical glyphs by casting in led. More OT.

Google on 'Pinyin' gets hits on description of some of the Chinese input
methods for the terminally curious.

Thanks.

  Hans