Re: why is Dutch the default language for note-entry?

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: why is Dutch the default language for note-entry?
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 10:06:06 +0100

On 19 Dec 2008, at 04:49, Graham Breed wrote:

Keyboard maps can demand certain key stroke combinations for output, and can output a sequence of characters, I would think, because otherwise some Unicode combining character combinations might not be possible. So it might be possible to capture keywords - I do not know for sure. But if possible,
and it also can be learned, it would be a fast input method.

Maybe there's a distinction between a "keyboard map" and "input
method" here.

Yes, keyboard maps are more primitive. I am looking at links like
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_method

Keyboard maps may be one key to one character but input
methods can be all manner of things.

Keyboard maps are though not that primitive: one can demand a sequence of key strokes for a certain output, and I am not sure, but it

Wubi's a good one to look up
because it includes standard abbreviations.  Like, here we go, typing
tias gives you 毛泽东思想 which means "Mao Zedong Thought" (yes, the
abbreviations they chose are generally political).

There is a link here
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wubi_method

As there are fonts that can typeset by radical, I suggested earlier in this thread typing that way might be efficient. And this evidently what the Wubi method does. Thank you for mentioning this.

There are text editors that can do the mapping as well.

Yes, this should have been mentioned. I think there is such for Emacs (and Emacs is available on Mac OS X via MacPorts). And recently there was a post about JEdit
  http://www.jedit.org/
Just download, and choose the LilyPond plugin from the Plugin menu.

For most of
us it isn't work the trouble but if you're used to playing music with
your computer keyboard I can see it would be more intuitive to enter
it that way as well.  Like using a MIDI keyboard with a sequencer.

Yes, I have though of it, too. The meantone map might be efficient for standard diatonic music. Intermediate intervals could be entered using modifier keys.

  Hans