Re: why is Dutch the default language for note-entry?

From: Graham Breed
Subject: Re: why is Dutch the default language for note-entry?
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 11:49:04 +0800

2008/12/19 Hans Aberg <address@hidden>:

> Keyboard maps can demand certain key stroke combinations for output, and can
> output a sequence of characters, I would think, because otherwise some
> Unicode combining character combinations might not be possible. So it might
> be possible to capture keywords - I do not know for sure. But if possible,
> and it also can be learned, it would be a fast input method.

Maybe there's a distinction between a "keyboard map" and "input
method" here.  Keyboard maps may be one key to one character but input
methods can be all manner of things.  Wubi's a good one to look up
because it includes standard abbreviations.  Like, here we go, typing
tias gives you 毛泽东思想 which means "Mao Zedong Thought" (yes, the
abbreviations they chose are generally political).

There are text editors that can do the mapping as well.  For most of
us it isn't work the trouble but if you're used to playing music with
your computer keyboard I can see it would be more intuitive to enter
it that way as well.  Like using a MIDI keyboard with a sequencer.

                                Graham