Re: CG chapter 2, first draft

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: CG chapter 2, first draft
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 12:29:05 -0000

Graham Percival wrote Monday, January 11, 2010 11:30 AM

That said, a few more comments:
- if you're going to go to all this effort, please eliminate the "git on windows" section -- for each portion of the (unix-aimed) docs, just
dump the relevant windows instructions on the bottom of the page.

Actually, most of the instructions under Git on Windows apply
equally well to Git on Unix.  The descriptions of gitk and
git gui are not Windows-specific, but apply equally well to
all flavours of Unix.  It would be better if these were included
in a section called something like "Graphical interfaces to git".
I for one prefer them for many operations, even though I am
relatively familiar with Unix command line.  Git gui makes it
immediately clear what the current branch is, what files have
been modified and how, etc.

It is not possible simply to dump Windows instructions at the
bottom of the page because they are identical in the git
bash shell to the commands already given.  The difference when
using a graphical interface is in the way commands are entered.

Trevor