Re: CG chapter 2, first draft

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: CG chapter 2, first draft
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 22:03:33 +0100 (GMT+01:00)

<address@hidden>
>Subj: Re: CG chapter 2, first draft
>
>address@hidden wrote:
>> I was just re-reading this section of the CG when this
>> arrived. For me, the balance is just right.
>>
>> Particularly useful for me was:
>>
>> 1 - The extra explanation in "Organization of remote
>> branches" is useful when the terminology is new
>>
>> 2 - The reassurance about the warnings at the end of
>> "Downloading individual branches" - I wish I'd had this
>> the other day as I was terrified I'd done something wrong.
>
>Well, It's nice to get some positive feedback!  As the
>others mentioned, there's still more to do.  When I have
>more time, I'd like to discuss gitk (and maybe git
>gui---although personally I find git gui confusing).  But
>I'm glad you're finding the first draft helpful.
>

>> Small point - in 2.3.4 you have
>>
>> git log -10 --oneline
>>
>> which produces an error for me. Should it be
>>
>> git log -10 --pretty=oneline
>
>Hmm.  What's the error?  What OS and git version are you
>using?  On my Linux with git 1.6.3.3, the command is
>shorthand for:
>
>   git log -10 --pretty=oneline --abbrev-commit
>
>Try that instead; hopefully the SHA1 hashes should be 7
>instead of 40 digits.  Not a really important thing in the
>end, but it's nice to have an error-free learning
>experience.  Let me know.
>
>Thanks for the response.
>- Mark

Hmm. I'm running the lilybuntu image burned to disk and installed on a
native linux partition - the system upgraded itself online once
installed.

git --version shows:

git version 1.6.0.4

The error I get is:

fatal: unrecognized argument; --oneline

Using "git log -10 --pretty=oneline --abbrev-commit" works as you
describe.

- David.

2009: A year in review - http://www.tiscali.co.uk/2009