Re: CG chapter 2, first draft

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: CG chapter 2, first draft
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 10:41:17 +0100

Trevor Daniels wrote:

Now that I'm back home I don't have access to a Schmindows
machine, so I forget the details.  But I do remember it
being a pain.  Something like

1) Right-click on the title-bar of the Git Bash window
2) Select Edit > Mark
3) Left-click and drag your selection.
4) Press enter to copy it to the clipboard.

Ugh.  Something terrible like that.  Trevor, if you have
some time, could you write a line or two about this sort of
thing?

I've never had to to do it, as I rarely use
the git bash command line for git work.  I
can do virtually everything in git gui or
gitk, which cut and paste normally in both
Windows and Unix.  But I've just tried your
instructions and they work fine cutting from
the git bash shell to a Windows app.  In the
reverse direction you need to right click on
the title-bar and select Edit > Paste.  I don't
use Cygwin, so I don't know if it shares a
clipboard with Windows.
I have never tried GIT on Windows, but if the window in question is a normal command prompt window, you can simplify the copy/paste somewhat if you right click on the title-bar of a command prompt window, select properties, mark "QuickEdit mode" and press OK. Once you have done that, you only have to do steps 3) and 4) to copy and you can right-click in the window to paste. This is one of the first settings I change after installing Windows on a machine.

  /Mats