Re: CG chapter 2, first draft

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: CG chapter 2, first draft
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 12:20:24 -0800 (PST)

address@hidden wrote:
> I was just re-reading this section of the CG when this
> arrived. For me, the balance is just right.
>
> Particularly useful for me was:
>
> 1 - The extra explanation in "Organization of remote
> branches" is useful when the terminology is new
>
> 2 - The reassurance about the warnings at the end of
> "Downloading individual branches" - I wish I'd had this
> the other day as I was terrified I'd done something wrong.

Well, It's nice to get some positive feedback!  As the
others mentioned, there's still more to do.  When I have
more time, I'd like to discuss gitk (and maybe git
gui---although personally I find git gui confusing).  But
I'm glad you're finding the first draft helpful.

> Small point - in 2.3.4 you have
>
> git log -10 --oneline
>
> which produces an error for me. Should it be
>
> git log -10 --pretty=oneline

Hmm.  What's the error?  What OS and git version are you
using?  On my Linux with git 1.6.3.3, the command is
shorthand for:

   git log -10 --pretty=oneline --abbrev-commit

Try that instead; hopefully the SHA1 hashes should be 7
instead of 40 digits.  Not a really important thing in the
end, but it's nice to have an error-free learning
experience.  Let me know.

Thanks for the response.
- Mark