Re: Issue 1294 - Lyric ties

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Issue 1294 - Lyric ties
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 21:55:34 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>
To: "Patrick McCarty" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, February 12, 2011 9:37 PM

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 01:32:21PM -0800, Patrick McCarty wrote:
On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 1:04 PM, Graham Percival
<address@hidden> wrote:

> We have two ways of making it not a Critical issue:
> 1) make the output the same. If that means fiddling with the
>
> 2) metaphorically look our users in the eye and tell them that we
> @item Lyric ties are no longer supported.
>
> But as far as releases go, that's the story.

It wasn't my intent to be controversial with my assessment of the
situation.  Sorry.

Oh, I didn't take this as controversial.  And I wanted the chance
to point out that documenting that "X is no longer supported" is a
perfectly valid way of getting 2.14 out the door, for any X.  You
have absolutely nothing to apologize for!

TBH, I'd be disappointed if this issue prevented a release of 2.14. I think it's a regression, but I also think it's a minor feature, and the alternatives are acceptable: stick with 2.12 if you really need lyric ties; or update if you can live with lyric ties that look a little odd. However, I do believe we shouldn't consign it to the heap of priority-high issues that'll never get looked at. My guess is that Graham won't like this suggestion, but I'd like to accept Patrick's offer to look at this as a serious issue, but I don't think we should raise it as critical-release blocking. If Patrick can't see a way of fixing it, we go with option 2.

--
Phil Holmes