Re: Issue 1294 - Lyric ties

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: Issue 1294 - Lyric ties
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 03:08:11 +0100

2011/2/13 Bernard Hurley <address@hidden>:
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 11:29:34PM +0000, Graham Percival wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 09:55:34PM -0000, Phil Holmes wrote:
>> > TBH, I'd be disappointed if this issue prevented a release of 2.14.
>> > I think it's a regression, but I also think it's a minor feature,
>> > and the alternatives are acceptable: stick with 2.12 if you really
>> > need lyric ties;
>
> It possibly may be minor in that it is hardly ever used, although I can only
> speak for myself. I hardly ever use it although I do write a lot of vocal
> music.

Lyric ties are essential for vocal music in Spanish because of the
high percentage of the Spanish-language words that end in a vowel.
Also, multiple-syllable words are much more common in Spanish, which
makes notes that share more than one syllable a common case.

Two examples from Juan del Enzina:

% From "Hoy comamos y bebamos"
\relative c' { \time 3/2
        r2 e f
        a1 g2
        f2 e1
        d1 d2
} \addlyrics { que ma -- ña -- na~a -- yu -- na -- re -- mos. }

% From "Ay, triste que vengo"
\relative c'' { \time 3/2
        r2 r a
        c2 c b
        g2 g e
        a2 a gis
        a2 a r
} \addlyrics { Con vis -- ta~ha -- la -- gue -- ra mi -- re -- la~y --
mi -- ro -- me }
  \addlyrics { Yo no sé quién e -- ra, mas e -- lla~a -- gra -- dó -- me }

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com