Re: Issue 1294 - Lyric ties

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Issue 1294 - Lyric ties
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 23:29:34 +0000

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 09:55:34PM -0000, Phil Holmes wrote:
> TBH, I'd be disappointed if this issue prevented a release of 2.14.
> I think it's a regression, but I also think it's a minor feature,
> and the alternatives are acceptable: stick with 2.12 if you really
> need lyric ties;

Unless we're deliberately dropping the "lyric ties" feature, then
that's not an acceptable alternative.  The same applies to any
other piece of notation -- if we have not officially dropped
support for X, then we should *never* tell people "if you really
want to do X, then stick with 2.12".

If this means that you need to re-evaluate a bunch of bug reports
and add a dozen Critical issues, then so be it.

> However, I do believe we shouldn't consign it to the
> heap of priority-high issues that'll never get looked at.

The main reason why priority-high issues don't tend to get looked
at is that we've had even more important issues to deal with (i.e.
Critical ones).
(I'm not conviced that some issues are truly high-priority -- I
mean, is 1502 "accents in PDF headers" really a High-priority
issue?  In comparison to some of the stuff on medium or even
low-priority?)

Once we've had some time without Critical issues or masses of
existing patches to review, people will continue working on any
High-priority issues that appeal to them.  I mean, Mike and
Han-Wen have been doing great work on issue 37 !