Re: Issue 1294 - Lyric ties

From: Bernard Hurley
Subject: Re: Issue 1294 - Lyric ties
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 01:22:10 +0000

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 11:29:34PM +0000, Graham Percival wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 09:55:34PM -0000, Phil Holmes wrote:
> > TBH, I'd be disappointed if this issue prevented a release of 2.14.
> > I think it's a regression, but I also think it's a minor feature,
> > and the alternatives are acceptable: stick with 2.12 if you really
> > need lyric ties;

It possibly may be minor in that it is hardly ever used, although I can only
speak for myself. I hardly ever use it although I do write a lot of vocal music.
I, personally, could probably get round it by various tricks, but I'm not sure
that everyone could do this or would have the time to do it.

> Unless we're deliberately dropping the "lyric ties" feature, then
> that's not an acceptable alternative.

There can be lots of good reasons for dropping support for a feature but the
fact that it has stopped working is not one of them.

> ... we should *never* tell people "if you really
> want to do X, then stick with 2.12".

Furthermore sticking to 2.12 may not be much of a sacrifice while the
alternative is 2.14, especially if a feature is important to me, but what about
in 5 year's time?

        /Bernard