Re: Fixes segfault in beam quanting. (issue4339047)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Fixes segfault in beam quanting. (issue4339047)
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 04:31:09 +0100

On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 05:22:28AM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > I don't think it is productive to try to systematically plug all
> > these errors; at best, you'll replace a bunch of segmentation faults
> > with just as unhelpful assertion failures.
>
> I definitely prefer assertions to segfaults.  But maybe that's only
> me.

I agree -- even something as "unhelpful" as
  {
    program_error("Oops, I'm confused.");
    // clean up memory?
    exit(1);
  }
is still better than a segfault.  But I think there's a problem of
scale here.

I'm quite comfortable taking a hard line on any non-tweak
segfaults -- if you have a file which does not contain any #
symbols or [ \override \tweak \overrideProperty \set ] strings, it
Should Not Segfault (tm).
(I may have forgotten to list one or two ways of tweaking the
output, so the above list might be expanded)