Re: Fixes segfault in beam quanting. (issue4339047)

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Fixes segfault in beam quanting. (issue4339047)
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2011 08:16:12 +0200 (CEST)

> (lily segfaults all the time when I accidentally feed her a PDF file
> instead of a .ly file, but I don't consider this to be a bug)

I do.  Any user program *must not* produce a segfault IMHO if fed with
user data, regardless of its origin.

While developing FreeType, various people (including myself) used
fuzzers to create invalid fonts which are then read by FreeType.  This
led to the discovery of a few dozen bugs...

Perhaps something similar can be done for LilyPond also.  You might
have a look at the `ftrandom' utility program in the source code of
FreeType; it should be rather straightforward to adapt it.

    Werner