Re: Fixes segfault in beam quanting. (issue4339047)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Fixes segfault in beam quanting. (issue4339047)
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 18:14:54 +0100

On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 08:16:12AM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > (lily segfaults all the time when I accidentally feed her a PDF file
> > instead of a .ly file, but I don't consider this to be a bug)
>
> I do.  Any user program *must not* produce a segfault IMHO if fed with
> user data, regardless of its origin.

It it possible to make guile crash?  Honest question here; I don't
know.  Maybe something about scheme's function-language-ness means
that it is impossible to make it crash...?

I mean, I'm sure that there are bugs in the guile-2.0 interpreter,
which would hopefully be fixed if we discovered any.  But doesn't
guile have some C compatibility stuff?  Is there any way to write
a guile program that gets a null pointer and then tries to use it?
If so, then logically we can't make lilypond never crash.