Re: Fixes segfault in beam quanting. (issue4339047)

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Fixes segfault in beam quanting. (issue4339047)
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2011 20:17:58 +0200 (CEST)

>> I do.  Any user program *must not* produce a segfault IMHO if fed
>> with user data, regardless of its origin.
>
> It it possible to make guile crash?

Maybe.  However, with `crash' I mean that lilypond aborts with a
segfault or something similar.  It's quite easy to write an endless
loop or to exhaust the memory, but in the former case lilypond's guile
interpreter just hangs, and you should be able to abort with ^C, and
in the latter case lilypond should abort with a proper (Guile) error
message, and maybe we can add some measures to prevent unplausible
memory allocations.

> Is there any way to write a guile program that gets a null pointer
> and then tries to use it?

AFAIK, this is not possible in Guile since it is an interpreted
language.

    Werner