Re: Fixes segfault in beam quanting. (issue4339047)

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Fixes segfault in beam quanting. (issue4339047)
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 07:47:08 +0100

Werner LEMBERG wrote Sunday, April 03, 2011 7:16 AM

(lily segfaults all the time when I accidentally feed her a PDF file
instead of a .ly file, but I don't consider this to be a bug)

I do. Any user program *must not* produce a segfault IMHO if fed with
user data, regardless of its origin.

+1

While developing FreeType, various people (including myself) used
fuzzers to create invalid fonts which are then read by FreeType. This
led to the discovery of a few dozen bugs...

Perhaps something similar can be done for LilyPond also. You might have a look at the `ftrandom' utility program in the source code of
FreeType; it should be rather straightforward to adapt it.

This or some alternative sounds like a fun project for 2.15.

Trevor