Re: Output from woodwind-diagrams-key-lists.ly

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Output from woodwind-diagrams-key-lists.ly
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 19:04:00 +0000 (UTC)

mike <at> apollinemike.com <mike <at> apollinemike.com> writes:

> This regtest makes sure that the key-name function works for all
> instruments - I'd be open to other options

Just to be clear, Phil strongly suspects that the output is not checked,
so if I accidentally broke the key-name function to print something wrong,
nobody would notice (until somebody sees the mistake in the docs, and that
path doesn't even use the regtest).

I like David's redirection idea, sending to dev/null if the purpose is to
exercise the key-name function, or to stderr if the purpose is to flag
changed output.

As it is, the regtest seems to give a false sense of security, so Phil's
idea of removing it also seems very sensible.

The \displayMusic function, which similarly produces useful output that
users want to have on stdout, sadly has no regtest to use as a model.