Re: Regarding LSR translation work

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Regarding LSR translation work
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 08:42:28 +0100

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 07:52:55AM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> 3) Graham is wrong when he says writing snippets is not a good
> introduction to lilypond.  I started by doing a fair few that
> documented undocumented features shown in the regtests.

Sorry, I came on too strong there.  I didn't mean to say that
writing snippets is not a good introduction -- it's probably the
best introduction we have.  In fact, I myself began with lilypond
by working on snippets (they were called "input/test/" back then)!

I'm disappointed that there hasn't been more interest in LSR, and
more volunteers working on it [1].  But that's a social problem,
not a technical one.  If we can solve that social problem, I'd be
much more ethusiastic about defending the status quo [2].

[1] of course there was some recent interest in this.  But to put
some numbers on it: I was expecting ~3 contributors per year to do
serious work within LSR, and to have ~1 new LSR editor per year.
I think that over the lifetime of LSR (i.e. 7 years) we've had
about 5 contributors doing serious work and 2 or 3 editors.

[2] I mean, "defending the status quo" for positive reasons, not
just because "it'll be a big mess to change anything".