Re: Regarding LSR translation work

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Regarding LSR translation work
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 14:28:21 +0200

2012/4/24 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 12:04:57AM +0200, Federico Bruni wrote:

>> 1) manage all the docs snippets in Git and say hello to LSR (see
>> bottom of my email)
>
> Do you mean "goodbye" instead of "hello" ?

sorry, yes of course I meant "goodbye"

>> 2) ask the LSR author to add the possibility to insert translated
>> titles and descriptions (the website itself could benefit from this,
>> since it may enable language negotiation). But managing the updates
>> may be a problem..
>
> You'd be asking him to do about 30 hours of unpaid work.

Yes, I'm aware of it. There's nothing to lose in asking politely for a
new feature.
I hope that he has interest in it, otherwise no problem.

>> >I really don't see any way to rescue the snippet system.  It was a
>> >gamble that hasn't paid off; it was supposed to be a standalone
>>
>> Since the gamble hasn't paid off (i.e. it didn't encourage
>> *potential contributors*), why keeping this structure that is really
>> annoying current translators (i.e. *real contributors*)?
>
> Because any change involves work.

So there are no strong reasons against stopping the LSR import.
But I've read also your next reply where you say that you'd defend
more enthusiastically
the status quo if people started contributing more to LSR.

Still, if this magically happened tomorrow, I don't see the advantage
of keeping the LSR import.
I think that it would be better to think the LSR as a community
project (easy to access
for normal users) and keep the doc snippets separated and edited by
contributors in Git.

>> Personally, I'm a bit worried about going on with translating NR
>> when I know that keeping it up-to-date will be an hassle.
>>
>> Let's manage all the doc snippets in Git and say hello to LSR import!
>> Which are the arguments against this change?
>
> It involves work.  In particular, horrible build system work,
> which always takes an order of magnitude longer than you might
> expect.

Really a lot of work?
Removing LSR import could only simplify the current system.
Of course it involves some work, but i can imagine is more about
removing and adapting than adding.

> Any non-trivial change to the current system will take a minimum
> of 10 hours of work, and I would not be the slightest bit
> surprised if it ends up taking 50 hours.  Are *you* offering to do
> all that work?  To spend 50 hours, and at the end of all that
> work, have the documentation look exactly the same as it does
> right now?

I want the documentation to look exactly the same as it does right now.
And most of all I'd like the documentation maintainance for
translators to be not buggy like it is now.

Python is the only requirement for this task, right?
I'm trying to learn Python and I'd like to contribute to some frog
tasks requiring python (I've starred some frog issues in the tracker).
Probably this is too much difficult for a newbie.