Re: LSR updates and translations

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: LSR updates and translations
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 12:31:45 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Devel" <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2012 7:47 PM

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 10:50:42AM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
I'd like to propose a pretty radical change to this process.  I
propose that /Documentation/snippets/ is a straight copy of a recent
LSR tarball.

I assume you mean the doc-related LSR tarball, not the full LSR
tarball.

Yes.  Just being lazy typing.

It's the task of the LSR meister to keep this up to
date.  We have a new directory: build/Documentation/snippets.

Minor note: IIRC such a directory already exists, so you may need
to give it a different name, or play some other games with the
build system.  Similarly, while working on this new system, it
might be easier to give it a different name to avoid conflicts
with the existing Documentation/snippets/.  I mean, sure, ideally
you could change everything at once and have no oddities with the
"old" snippets and the "new" snippets, but I would personally be
quite leery of attempting such a thing.

Yes, that directory exists. Good point. perhaps the best name would be /build/Documentation/snippet-src?

It therefore becomes a transient collection and does not require
monitoring for translation purposes.  The only thing that
translators need to monitor is /Documentation/snippets/, which
should not change except when new snippets are added or existing
ones changed.

How do you deal with new snippets (which cannot run on the current
LSR), and most awkwardly, *updated* snippets (which the LSR
version works fine in the previous stable version, but the syntax
has changed in a non-convert-ly-able manner and requires a
manually-updated version) ?

The same way - with a snippets/new list, where these over-write the snippets from the tarball. We may need to consider some other name changes here. Clearly the simplest way to create an updated git/Documentation/snippets directory is a simple delete of the old one, and a copy of the docs snippet tarball over to git/Documentation/snippets. However, this would also wipe out git/Documentation/snippets/new, which would be a Bad Thing. What about an empty directory called git/Documentation/snippets, one with updated non-LSR-runnable snippets called git/Documentation/snippets/new, and one with the snippets from the tarball in called git/Documentation/snippet-src?

I'm very encouraged to see interest in revamping the current
system, but off the top of my head[1], I'm not certain that we can
get much better than the current system[2].

I think the translators would disagree with [2] and on inspecting the mechanism, it seems over-complex.

--
Phil Holmes