Re: LSR updates and translations

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: LSR updates and translations
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 23:39:32 +0200

2012/6/21 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> [2] let me give a huge disclaimer here: the way that we track
> translations, or translation update notifications, or whatever,
> could probably be improved.

It can be improved because it is broken.

>  I have no clue what those git
> committishes are doing; at first glance I think they're all the
> same, so surely we only need one copy of that info in git?  or
> maybe one copy per language?

Yes, one copy per language. This could be a good idea: as an
alternative to our current fine-grain tracking system for LSR
translations, which notifies a translator whenever every single file
is modified, we'd have a coarse-grain system that marks the whole set
as simply "outdated". That would handle all translations of LSR as one
single file.

The big redundancy you see in those commitishes that are all the same,
comes from a makelsr run that modifies many files, and commits all
those changes at once. Therefore, if a translator wants to mark all
the matching translations as uptodate, many ID marks --one per file--
have to be put in them. Most, and often all, of the markings do
nothing more than saying the tracking system "please forget this file
for now, it can be taken as being in sync" in response to lots of
trivial changes in original snippets.
--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com