Re: LSR updates and translations

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: LSR updates and translations
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 12:49:06 +0200

Hi Phil,
Il giorno mer, 20/06/2012 alle 10.50 +0100, Phil Holmes ha scritto:
> I'd like to propose a pretty radical change to this process.  I propose that
> /Documentation/snippets/ is a straight copy of a recent LSR tarball.  It's
> the task of the LSR meister to keep this up to date.  We have a new
> directory: build/Documentation/snippets.  This is created and updated with a
> new make command - "make snippets" (which is run before make doc, or
> possibly make). make snippets runs an updated version of makelsr, which runs
> in the makelsr-with-argument mode - i.e., searches for snippets in
> /Documentation/snippets/, adds the translations, runs convert-ly, and saves
> the results in /build/Documentation/snippets.  It therefore becomes a
> transient collection and does not require monitoring for translation
> purposes.  The only thing that translators need to monitor is
> /Documentation/snippets/, which should not change except when new snippets
> are added or existing ones changed.

This sounds good.  As I understand it, your proposal implies that
snippets generated by makelsr are not tracked by Git, and makelsr should
be modified in order to save build time, i.e. when called from "make
doc" makelsr would not run "lilypond --safe" on generated snippets.

> It's a task of the LSR-meister to ensure that all snippets in
> /Documentation/snippets/ do not have dangerous system commands.

Fine.

> How does this sound as an outline?  I'd like thoughts from Graham, John
> Mandereau and some translators as to whether this would work, but it seems
> to me a better general plan, and more in keeping with the idea the rest of
> the build system uses - i.e. relatively static source, and often updated
> build results.

Please go ahead!

Cheers,
John