Re: LSR updates and translations

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: LSR updates and translations
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 19:47:16 +0100

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 10:50:42AM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> I'd like to propose a pretty radical change to this process.  I
> propose that /Documentation/snippets/ is a straight copy of a recent
> LSR tarball.

I assume you mean the doc-related LSR tarball, not the full LSR
tarball.

> It's the task of the LSR meister to keep this up to
> date.  We have a new directory: build/Documentation/snippets.

Minor note: IIRC such a directory already exists, so you may need
to give it a different name, or play some other games with the
build system.  Similarly, while working on this new system, it
might be easier to give it a different name to avoid conflicts
with the existing Documentation/snippets/.  I mean, sure, ideally
you could change everything at once and have no oddities with the
"old" snippets and the "new" snippets, but I would personally be
quite leery of attempting such a thing.

> It therefore becomes a transient collection and does not require
> monitoring for translation purposes.  The only thing that
> translators need to monitor is /Documentation/snippets/, which
> should not change except when new snippets are added or existing
> ones changed.

How do you deal with new snippets (which cannot run on the current
LSR), and most awkwardly, *updated* snippets (which the LSR
version works fine in the previous stable version, but the syntax
has changed in a non-convert-ly-able manner and requires a
manually-updated version) ?

I'm very encouraged to see interest in revamping the current
system, but off the top of my head[1], I'm not certain that we can
get much better than the current system[2].

[1] my parents are visiting, so I'm waking up at 2am to match
their jetlagged selves, and started a walking tour of the river
Clyde at 5am.

[2] let me give a huge disclaimer here: the way that we track
translations, or translation update notifications, or whatever,
could probably be improved.  I have no clue what those git
committishes are doing; at first glance I think they're all the
same, so surely we only need one copy of that info in git?  or
maybe one copy per language?  but anyway, I can definitely imagine
that we need improvements in the translation-handling, but when it
comes to the English snippets, the plan needs to accommodate the
current Documentation/snippets/new/.