Re: maybe we could use blog.lilypond.org as the blog's address?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: maybe we could use blog.lilypond.org as the blog's address?
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2013 22:36:57 +0200

Am 06.06.2013 19:00, schrieb Urs Liska:
Am 06.06.2013 18:46, schrieb Jan Nieuwenhuizen:
Can't we just use lilypond.org/blog and/or use iframes to include it into our home page?

Greetings, Jan

Would that mean that www.lilypond.org/blog.html would be a static HTML page containing nothing than a full-page frame that points to wherever the blog is hosted?

If that works well with what visitors see in their address bar it might be a good idea.
Maintaining the blog would still be live and without the overhead from lily's website, and no hassles with assigning domains.

Probably it wouldn't work with having direct links to the blog posts/pages, so (IISC) it would mean that we should
- have the blog hosted under an independent domain like blog.openlilylib.org (so that direct links will work)
- have lilypond.org/blog as a 'window' integrated into Lily's regular web presence
- include menu items in the blog pointing to lilypond.org's pages (so it is 'connected' even when reached through the independent domain name)

I can try that with an arbitrary iframe page on my server.

Urs

You can have a look at http://test.ursliska.de/test.html
It works partially:
- One can see everything and navigate the blog.
- One can post comments
- What does not work (for admins) is to edit comments or posts or enter the admin area at all
- The address bar always shows the above address.

(- a minor issue is that I don't know how to define the iframe yet. I had to manually set a height in pixels, which obviously isn't good.)

Maybe it's a possibility:
- placing such a page under lilypond.org/blog would be a 'window' into the blog, although the blog itself is hosted at a different address.
- This other address would be the main address for the blog, also the target of links to the posts, and the address that search engines will direct to.
- The blog itself should be modified to include appropriate menu entries pointing to lilypond.org (in a way that they make sense when seen 'through the window' or standalone.
- In such a construct I would suggest keeping the blog where it is, because - even when it's a commercial provider - it might be better not to have it associated with an individual person (i.e. my hosting packages).

What do you think?

Urs

PS: please reply-to-all