Re: maybe we could use blog.lilypond.org as the blog's address?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: maybe we could use blog.lilypond.org as the blog's address?
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 09:48:50 +0200

Am 07.06.2013 09:00, schrieb Janek Warchoł:
2013/6/7 Urs Liska <address@hidden>:

But I have yet another idea that could be elegant if the technical
requirements are met.

If the server hosting lilypond.org is capable of running WordPress, i.e. has
- PHP >= 5.2.4
- MySQL >= 5.0
available, we could:
- Create a /blog directory at the top level of the website
- Ensure that this directory isn't touched when updating the website content
- Install WordPress there
   This is a one-time action of a few minutes, and
   the maintainer of the blog doesn't need any admin access to the server
later

This way the blog would be technically integrated into lilypond.org (i.e.
wrt search engines)
but could be maintained independently.
Maybe i don't understand something, but haven't we already rejected
this solution because it means having dynamic content which can lead
to problems (and we want lilypond.org to be perfectly safe)?
Probably you're right but I wasn't really aware that this is a definite decision. If I had read earlier what you quote below I wouldn't have made that suggestion.

So it looks as we're having two options if we want to provide a more lilypond-like address for the blog:

a)
blog.lilypond.org
Involving remapping the subdomain from lilypond.orgs server to another one (possibly mine)
b)
blog.openlilylib.org

But I would say that even keeping it at lilypondblog.wordpress.com wouldn't be an _evil_ thing, although not preferable.

Maybe b) is a cleaner solution as it doesn't involve mangling with real and virtual domains and mappings. And maybe it's even more natural, as the blog is more a user-community thing than being part of the official LilyPond web presence? Associating it with openlilylib.org could make a good pair (provided we manage to actually provide real content on openlilylib.org).

I think both (all three) options are valid ones, we just should decide soon to have a consistent address for the blog ASAP.

Urs

 From an email that Graham sent me privately: