Re: maybe we could use blog.lilypond.org as the blog's address?

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: maybe we could use blog.lilypond.org as the blog's address?
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 15:03:42 -0700 (PDT)

Urs Liska wrote
>> Something like that.  Possibly we want a lilypond.org-site navigation
>> menu somewhere at the top, served from either site.
> As we'd want such a thing also when the blog is viewed 'standalone' it
> would probably better to include this in the blog theme and have the
> iframe use the complete page.

+1
Although, I'm not a fan of iframes, but I think this is a good way to do it
if you're going to do it that way.

To me if you have the main navigation menu at the top of the blog pages so
you can go back and forth from the blog and main site easily, then the
iframe doesn't really add much (while making it hard for people to link to
particular posts).

> But as mentioned in my previous email I would suggest to keep the blog
> at wordpress.com then.
> This would make our lives much easier if I should ever have to step back
> and discontinue my offer.

A problem though is that if you keep it hosted at wordpress.com you can't
edit the blog's theme (aside from changing some colors or the background
image).  So you couldn't put the LilyPond site's navigation menu across the
top of the blog's pages to match the main site.  For that kind of
customization you have to have your own wordpress installation.

Another thing with leaving it at wordpress.com is that any the links to
particular blog posts, and the URLs in search engines, will be to the
lilypondblog.wordpress.com address.  That means those links will get broken
if you move it away from the wordpress.com URL later.

To avoid this, you could host it at wordpress.com with a "custom domain"
upgrade for $13 or $18 a year:
http://en.support.wordpress.com/domains/

You can even use a subdomain like blog.lilypond.org as a "custom domain" on
wordpress.com:
http://en.support.wordpress.com/domains/map-subdomain/

Lots of options!

Cheers,