Re: Remove old "News" entry from home page

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Remove old "News" entry from home page
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 10:27:03 +0200

James Lowe <address@hidden> writes:

> On 19/07/15 07:25, Federico Bruni wrote:
>> Werner, I'm skipping your replies where you were implying that I
>> was proposing to change the whole documentation system and not just
>> the website.
>>
>> etc.
>
> OK so after all that, what can we do *today* to improve what the front
> page of the website looks like *now* without (for now) worrying about
> CSS and using different web tools and fretting over things that have
> not yet happened; but sinply using the tools we have today and now.
>
> I am happy to start 'moving' things about within the texinfo code so
> that the website is 'better' organized in terms of it's presentation,
> and there were some nice suggestions in that tracker at first - but
> then it quickly descended (ascended?) into a "but! but! then we could
> do X and then we could Y and then we could Z and then ..! and then..!
> og but I have no time" effectively (for me) killing any chance of me
> contributing by suggesting tools and programmatical thingies that I
> have no skill in; but moving things from A to B and B to E in our
> telly and texi files, I can probably do.

I'm pretty sure that we could get this organized in ways where people
find what they are looking for better.  I think that might be more
friendly to our users.  I don't think it is a deal breaker regarding
whether people decide to use or not to use LilyPond, but making people
find their way around fast makes them understand that LilyPond's core
message is not suffering.  Even though strife may be involved.

We don't lose users by people looking at the web page and saying "oh, if
the web page looks so Y2K-like, I don't expect anything newer from the
user interface".  Because LilyPond's current user interface is more
1980ish rather than Y2K.  If you even want to call it a user interface.

Arguably, our web presentation contents are also due for an overhaul.
The current standing and ongoing development of Frescobaldi means that
we are not doing newcomers a favor by hiding it in footnotes.  It's
pretty much a part of "how to get started with using LilyPond" for the
typical user.  I'd wish that I could get somebody to get LilyPond's
Emacs mode into this millennium but even then giving equal weight to
Emacs and Frescobaldi would make no sense.  People looking for an Emacs
mode will hunt it down anyway.