Re: Remove old "News" entry from home page

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Remove old "News" entry from home page
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 10:45:39 +0200

Jean-Charles Malahieude <address@hidden> writes:

> Le 19/07/2015 08:25, Federico Bruni a écrit :
>>
>> texi2html is deprecated since 2011. It's still present in most
>> distributions but I guess that it won't be there forever. For example,
>> in Debian:
>> https://wiki.debian.org/Texi2htmlTransition
>> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2013/05/msg01516.html
>>
>> There will be a pressing need to move to texi2any quite soon, otherwise
>> LilyPond may be removed from the distro repository.
>
> I'll rise it again, since texinfo-6.0 has been released and I upgraded
> my Fedora (21, don't want 22 for now…), once the Translation branch
> will have been updated in French.
> I've an (over)full-time job, and try to keep the French part of docs
> up to date as well as try to help, but days last only 24 hours and
> I've no skill in programming (just trying to understand but often
> reach my limits) and don't want to break anything!

HTML/CSS is not all that much programming "proper" I think.  It's more
of a declarative system.

I think we should try getting as much of our Texinfo adaptations
upstream as possible in the long run.  That makes us less dependent on
inside knowledge of "retired" contributors.

If you are going to try getting texi2any into gear, I will "match your
contribution" by trying to address the TeX macro programming issues that
_still_ don't allow us to use an unchanged texinfo.tex from upstream.
That's in "almost there" state, but unfortunately not completely yet.