Re: compiling on Debian on an ARMv7

From: James
Subject: Re: compiling on Debian on an ARMv7
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 11:37:19 +0100

Hello Keith,

On 05/10/15 06:51, Keith E OHara wrote:
> I getting used to the BeagleBone Black, so I though I'd try compiling
> Lilypond.  It runs Debian, but on an ARM. LilyPond hasn't provided a
> precompiled binary for ARM for a decade.
>
> Similar to what Trevor found,
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2014-02/msg00212.html
> setting up on Debian is not too difficult, except for fonts that don't
> come easily from the repositories
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2015-08/msg00138.html
>
> sudo vim /etc/apt/sources.list
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get build-dep lilypond
>
> ## I don't know why configure says we need this:
> sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends dblatex

The build-dep stuff includes everything that is needed to build the doc
(even if you don't want to build doc, although we make some minimal
texinfo information just building LP, and that might - if you follow the
dependencies down the line - end up with dblatex being needed).

You can try to install the build stuff separately - but that is often
more complex.

> ## These are new dependencies that we should get into build-dep lilypond,
> ##  when someone has the time to learn how.
> sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends texlive-lang-cyrillic
> sudo apt-get install tex-gyre
> sudo apt-get install g++-4.7

Yes, if someone has experience of how to get anything 'upstream' I'd be
happy to chase - often it seems that each Distribution's method is
different in that it is really hard to just find

1. What is included in a 'build dep' script
2. How/Who/Where a person can contact a maintainer to ask for this.

Anyway...

I have also updated the build instructions for some common Linux
installations - which will be pushed at the end of the week.

Nothing specific for Debian but Ubuntu and Linux Mint Debian Edition at
least.

So if these instructions (regardless if you have had issues on ARM) are
useful or we can add something for Debian specifically - I hadn't tested
that yet with all the various different releases one could get, I wasn't
sure what was worth doing.

> sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/gcc gcc /usr/bin/gcc-4.7 60 \
>    --slave /usr/bin/g++ g++ /usr/bin/g++-4.7
> sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/gcc gcc /usr/bin/gcc-4.6 40 \
>    --slave /usr/bin/g++ g++ /usr/bin/g++-4.6
> sudo update-alternatives --config gcc
>
> ## anonymous git wasn't working today, so I authenticated
> git clone address@hidden:/srv/git/lilypond.git
> cd lilypond
> ./autogen.sh --noconfigure
> ./configure \
>    --with-texgyre-dir=/usr/share/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/tex-gyre/ \
>    --disable-optimising
>
> LilyPond works on short scores, but runs out of memory when forking gs
> for
> anything longer than a page.  This BeagleBone has 512MB RAM, but I didn't
> have any swap at all, and the 4GB flash-drive was nearly full after
> installing the build dependencies.  With a swap file on an SD card, this
> might be a working LilyPond.  LilyPond on a BeagleBone is silly, but we
> might want to put it on the ARM in a Chromebook or something.

The build dep stuff is mostly taken up with the doc building code (I
think) and this is stated more clearly in my patch to the CG, but we
also list the packages separately too - but again how you get those (and
getting, for instance, Guile2 which is now more and more defacto to
co-exist with Guile1.8 on some OSes is not trivial or at least not
trivial for me!).

James