Re: compiling on Debian on an ARMv7

From: Santiago Vila
Subject: Re: compiling on Debian on an ARMv7
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 17:13:21 +0200

On Mon, Oct 05, 2015 at 03:13:06PM +0100, James wrote:
> --snip--
>
> address@hidden ~$ apt-get source lilypond
>
> Reading package lists... Done
>
> Building dependency tree
>
> Reading state information... Done
>
> E: Unable to find a source package for lilypond

This is strange because "apt-get build-dep" does not work unless you
have deb-src lines in your sources.list.

> (this is not Debian but Linux Mint admittedly) [...]

Ok, derived from Debian. AFAIK, should behave the same way.

> > https://bugs.debian.org
>
> Does this include 'adding' packages that are not currently in build-dep
> control files?

It depends.

For example, if lilypond has an optional feature "foo" which needs the
library "libfoo" to be present during the build, I would word the bug
report something like "Please build lilypond with foo support" and the
Debian maintainer would figure out which new build-dependencies are
required for that. If you know the required package for that feature,
it would help to include such information in the bug report, of
course, but build-dependencies are not added for the sake of adding
them, they have to be "required for the desired executable which is
being produced".

Also, bear in mind that bug reports are mostly useful when they refer
to the development version (Debian testing and unstable), because the
version shipped in stable does not change except for security bugs and
the like.