Re: compiling on Debian on an ARMv7

From: Santiago Vila
Subject: Re: compiling on Debian on an ARMv7
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 15:41:48 +0200

On Mon, Oct 05, 2015 at 11:37:19AM +0100, James wrote:
> Hello Keith,
>
> On 05/10/15 06:51, Keith E OHara wrote:
> > I getting used to the BeagleBone Black, so I though I'd try compiling
> > Lilypond.  It runs Debian, but on an ARM. LilyPond hasn't provided a
> > precompiled binary for ARM for a decade.
> >
> > Similar to what Trevor found,
> > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2014-02/msg00212.html
> > setting up on Debian is not too difficult, except for fonts that don't
> > come easily from the repositories
> > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2015-08/msg00138.html
> >
> > sudo vim /etc/apt/sources.list
> > sudo apt-get update
> > sudo apt-get build-dep lilypond
> >
> > ## I don't know why configure says we need this:
> > sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends dblatex
>
> The build-dep stuff includes everything that is needed to build the doc
> (even if you don't want to build doc, although we make some minimal
> texinfo information just building LP, and that might - if you follow the
> dependencies down the line - end up with dblatex being needed).
>
> You can try to install the build stuff separately - but that is often
> more complex.
>
> > ## These are new dependencies that we should get into build-dep lilypond,
> > ##  when someone has the time to learn how.
> > sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends texlive-lang-cyrillic
> > sudo apt-get install tex-gyre
> > sudo apt-get install g++-4.7
>
> Yes, if someone has experience of how to get anything 'upstream' I'd be
> happy to chase - often it seems that each Distribution's method is
> different in that it is really hard to just find

I'm a little bit confused. For Debian, you, lilypond developers, are
the "upstream", not the opposite.

The "apt-get build-dep" thing works because you have a deb-src line
somewhere in your /etc/apt/sources.list and both a lilypond source
package and a binary package available.

But if that's the case, then you don't have to compile anything,
"apt-get install lilypond" will retrieve and install a lilypond
package which is supposed to work.

We (Debian) build packages for a lot of different architectures so
that you the authors don't have to worry at all about that.

Or maybe I'm missing something. I don't know.

> 1. What is included in a 'build dep' script

The packages installed when you "apt-get build-dep something" are
the ones in the Build-Depends field in the debian/control file
for the Debian source package, which you can download with
"apt-get source lilypond".

> 2. How/Who/Where a person can contact a maintainer to ask for this.

If you have a problem with the lilypond package in Debian, you can
submit a bug. Instructions here:

https://bugs.debian.org

If you just have general questions about Debian (the one about
build-dep is not specific to lilypond for example), the mailing list
address@hidden would serve.

Hope this helps.