Re: compiling on Debian on an ARMv7

From: James
Subject: Re: compiling on Debian on an ARMv7
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 15:13:06 +0100

Hello Santiago,

On 05/10/15 14:41, Santiago Vila wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 05, 2015 at 11:37:19AM +0100, James wrote:
>> Hello Keith,
>>
>> On 05/10/15 06:51, Keith E OHara wrote:
>>> I getting used to the BeagleBone Black, so I though I'd try compiling
>>> Lilypond.  It runs Debian, but on an ARM. LilyPond hasn't provided a
>>> precompiled binary for ARM for a decade.
>>>
>>> Similar to what Trevor found,
>>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2014-02/msg00212.html
>>> setting up on Debian is not too difficult, except for fonts that don't
>>> come easily from the repositories
>>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2015-08/msg00138.html
>>>
>>> sudo vim /etc/apt/sources.list
>>> sudo apt-get update
>>> sudo apt-get build-dep lilypond
>>>
>>> ## I don't know why configure says we need this:
>>> sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends dblatex
>> The build-dep stuff includes everything that is needed to build the doc
>> (even if you don't want to build doc, although we make some minimal
>> texinfo information just building LP, and that might - if you follow the
>> dependencies down the line - end up with dblatex being needed).
>>
>> You can try to install the build stuff separately - but that is often
>> more complex.
>>
>>> ## These are new dependencies that we should get into build-dep lilypond,
>>> ##  when someone has the time to learn how.
>>> sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends texlive-lang-cyrillic
>>> sudo apt-get install tex-gyre
>>> sudo apt-get install g++-4.7
>> Yes, if someone has experience of how to get anything 'upstream' I'd be
>> happy to chase - often it seems that each Distribution's method is
>> different in that it is really hard to just find
> I'm a little bit confused. For Debian, you, lilypond developers, are
> the "upstream", not the opposite.
No, it is not you that is confused it is me. Upstream/Downstream. Sorry.

> The "apt-get build-dep" thing works because you have a deb-src line
> somewhere in your /etc/apt/sources.list and both a lilypond source
> package and a binary package available.
>
> But if that's the case, then you don't have to compile anything,
> "apt-get install lilypond" will retrieve and install a lilypond
> package which is supposed to work.
>
> We (Debian) build packages for a lot of different architectures so
> that you the authors don't have to worry at all about that.
>
> Or maybe I'm missing something. I don't know.
>
>> 1. What is included in a 'build dep' script
> The packages installed when you "apt-get build-dep something" are
> the ones in the Build-Depends field in the debian/control file
> for the Debian source package, which you can download with
> "apt-get source lilypond".

--snip--

address@hidden ~$ apt-get source lilypond

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

E: Unable to find a source package for lilypond

--snip--

(this is not Debian but Linux Mint admittedly) however I can still
apt-get build-dep lilypond. So while I know that Debian != Linux Mint,
they both use apt-get so I would have thought it was the same, but I
don't want to digress.

>> 2. How/Who/Where a person can contact a maintainer to ask for this.
> If you have a problem with the lilypond package in Debian, you can
> submit a bug. Instructions here:
>
> https://bugs.debian.org

Does this include 'adding' packages that are not currently in build-dep
control files?

> If you just have general questions about Debian (the one about
> build-dep is not specific to lilypond for example), the mailing list
> address@hidden would serve.
>
> Hope this helps.
It's a start, thanks.

James