compiling on Debian on an ARMv7

From: Keith E OHara
Subject: compiling on Debian on an ARMv7
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2015 22:51:00 -0700

I getting used to the BeagleBone Black, so I though I'd try compiling
Lilypond.  It runs Debian, but on an ARM. LilyPond hasn't provided a
precompiled binary for ARM for a decade.

Similar to what Trevor found,
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2014-02/msg00212.html
setting up on Debian is not too difficult, except for fonts that don't
come easily from the repositories
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2015-08/msg00138.html

sudo vim /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get build-dep lilypond

## I don't know why configure says we need this:
sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends dblatex
## These are new dependencies that we should get into build-dep lilypond,
##  when someone has the time to learn how.
sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends texlive-lang-cyrillic
sudo apt-get install tex-gyre
sudo apt-get install g++-4.7

sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/gcc gcc /usr/bin/gcc-4.7 60 \
   --slave /usr/bin/g++ g++ /usr/bin/g++-4.7
sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/gcc gcc /usr/bin/gcc-4.6 40 \
   --slave /usr/bin/g++ g++ /usr/bin/g++-4.6
sudo update-alternatives --config gcc

## anonymous git wasn't working today, so I authenticated
git clone address@hidden:/srv/git/lilypond.git
cd lilypond
./autogen.sh --noconfigure
./configure \
   --with-texgyre-dir=/usr/share/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/tex-gyre/ \
   --disable-optimising

LilyPond works on short scores, but runs out of memory when forking gs for
anything longer than a page.  This BeagleBone has 512MB RAM, but I didn't
have any swap at all, and the 4GB flash-drive was nearly full after
installing the build dependencies.  With a swap file on an SD card, this
might be a working LilyPond.  LilyPond on a BeagleBone is silly, but we
might want to put it on the ARM in a Chromebook or something.